Loopy

So, Ellen's interested in playing violin for They Came And Ate Us: The Musical. At least, part of the time.

She feels that there's a lack of variety in the stuff we play and it's not helped by what she's contrubuting. Not only that, but she mentioned that she kept hearing violin riffs while she was guitarring, so that's quite promising. I have no idea what she has up her sleeve, but it should be interesting.

Meanwhile, Rhys and I have been jamming continuously. He's still not listening to loops sometimes, which means that he gets out of sync with the machine, but nowhere near as often. It got me thinking - none of us five has learned to play to a metronome. Probably ever. I sure as hell haven't.

I've been thinking about why I choose to loop some phrases and not others - opting to repeat the phrase myself. I think that sometimes I intend to change the dynamic of what I'm playing ahead of time - if it's a loop, it obviously ain't gonna change, unless I fiddle with the volume of it, which isn't the same as playing a guitar gently vs. bashing on it.

I'm not as sure as I'd like to be that this is the case, though - I'll have to pay more attention to what I'm playing and what I plan on playing afterwards, I think.

1 comment:

  1. I approve of violin.

    I learned to play xylophone to a metronome. No, seriously. I did.

    ReplyDelete