Good Compromise?

The Band has broken up...

...into two bands.

Makes sense, since there's two drummers and putting them into the same practice space together is proving to be a bitch.

Now it's three members to one band and three to another. I have Lucas drumming and Ellen playing stringed things in my baby, while a new band has spawned for Rhys, Tim and I. If a little bit of cross-jamming happens between members of each band, well, no harm done.

May help with motivation, since I've put the ball into a certain bass-player's court to form the basis for songs in the Other Band - until that happens, I won't be playing anything at all in it. Hopefully this will give him the kick he needs - he didn't seem to feel at home playing bass in my band anyway - the style was a little too strange for his liking. He was the only one who didn't really like the crap I was playing. Now, he gets the opportunity to write the majority of the material and sing if he wants to. I'll just be throwing in a few textural guitar parts here and there, but otherwise turning it into an excercise in minimalism and restraint. Heh.

This means that there'll probably be no bass for They Came And Ate Us: The Musical*, although it frees up my guitar's range a tad, so I can explore the lower end a little bit without worrying about bumping into any other instrumentalists' noodlings towards that end of the frequency spectrum. Now I just need to make sure that Ellen's comfortable playing whatever she's playing and that I stay out of her range. This will be the band where I put my loopers and delays to the most use, so I must keep it from getting too messy. This'll also ensure that Lucas has as much room to move as he likes without worrying about making room for another drummer down the pipeline.

Now the problem is that I'm in two bands and I'm not playing bass in either of them. Nrrrrgh. Well, I'm discussing a design for a baritone guitar with a luthier who's willing to build it and it'll mostly be for songs I write for They Came And Ate Us: The Musical, so maybe I can settle for a middle-ground, since its dynamic range'll be between a guitar and a bass.

Hopefully this whole situation can be summed up with the line "Good compromise; Russia wins."

...

Hopefully.


*Pfft. What do we need bass for, anyway? If it can work for The Dirty Three, it can work for us!

3 comments:

  1. Works for the White Stripes and the Cat Empire* as well.


    *Well, no ELECTRIC bass. They also have no guitar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their bassist plays an electric. Based on the gig that we went to, and the handful of videos I've seen, he spends more time on electric than acoustic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Upon looking it up, he alternates depending on the song. On their first album, he played acoustic.

    ReplyDelete