pro·lif·ic, adj: producing in large quantities or with great frequency; highly productive: a prolific writer.

A new plan: Starting from next week, I'm going to do seven tracks per week for my Cinsorium project. Some of these might turn into tracks for other projects, since they often have traditional instrumental parts in them anyway, which will hopefully offset the fact that this will take up much of my music-making time, but...

Yes. Cranking out heaps of tracks. I've done a complete wipe of my music project directories twice now since I've started making music back in '06. The first time was after a significant buildup of .wav files and Cubase project files - I can't remember why I let them go (well, it was during a system reformat, but I could have easily backed them up), or how I got into the mentality that would allow myself to do it, but I hit the big red button and let 'em die, despite the festering, debilitating attachment I had to them.

Maybe the reason I performed this wipe initially was because I realised that so many of my tracks were constantly being tweaked and picked at well and truly past the point that they were 'done', if they could ever achieve that state when I'm their only audience - I don't feel that this could be the case anyway. I like reshaping music, especially the stuff I make, so this wasn't a problem, but it consumed a huge portion of my life when I could otherwise be exploring new tracks from the ground up.

Then again, maybe I just wanted to reach the idealised state of completion more often because I had this idea in my head that, if I wanted to present the tracks to others, I'd have to give those people something 'complete'.

By hanging onto Cubase project files of tracks that I'd just keep re-opening, this wasn't going to happen.

Naturally, I did save the .mp3s of many of the projects that I liked to listen to as tracks, but they only existed as single files that can no longer be broken down into the individual elements that made them, preventing any likely manipulation.

After a few changes to my living arrangements, my gear's mostly not set up - the kit's sorta everywhere and my pedals are all over the place. I'll be spending some of the weekend putting my room back together.

I'll be recording sounds and going nuts with digital manipulation. I'll be spewing forth a track for each day of the week and putting them into an allocated folder. The best of these tracks will make it onto a website somewhere, maybe, but I'll certainly bombard friends with them. Do people even check MySpace any more? I think it died when I finally jumped on board.

Hopefully this'll help me write songs for the bands that I'm in, because for those projects, completion of songs is a goal and it's something I need to improve on.

I'll keep this up until the end of the year, so that's basically six months of crankin' shit out.

Something's gonna change if I achieve this goal (or even give it a good go).

1 comment:

  1. Prolific is good. I approve of this. However, don't use MySpace. It be horrid.

    Also, This is partly the reason I had trouble following stuff that you'd send me. We'd work on something. You'd record. Then you'd send me 6 early tracks. I'd listen, but by the time we practiced again, you'd have changed the track so much that it was unrecogniseable.

    ReplyDelete